When a county resident has an adult mosquito problem they call our office and each complaint is recorded. We strive to respond to every complaint within 48 hours.
The complaint is entered into our Vector Control Management System (VCMS) database. The caller is asked vital questions to help determine the origin and degree of the problem as well as detailed directions to the location.
Some of the questions asked are:
- What time of day are you experiencing this problem?
- Is there any standing water around the area where you are experiencing this problem?
- Are you actually being bitten by mosquitoes at this time?
- Specific directions to the problem area (which is needed in specific detail for accessing the area at dusk/dark when trapping and/or spraying for adult mosquitoes often takes place).
- Are there any hazards we need to aware of in the area (such as rough terrain, locked gates, dogs etc)?
- Can you please gently swat and collect any of the mosquitoes to be picked up by our Inspectors and note the time when the mosquitoes are collected?
As the call is taken, it is logged into our database and determined whether it falls in the North, South, Central or East District. When the entry is completed the information is given on to the appropriate staff member who is trained to investigate these calls. Every call is investigated; we take pride in a timely and thorough response.
The Inspectors look for standing water on the property, whether it is manmade or natural, to determine the source of the problem. Inspectors may take a larval sample and/or a landing rate (a count of the number of adult mosquitoes that land on them within a timed period). The results are then used to determine if the call warrants larval control measures or spraying for adult mosquitoes. It is also determined whether the area should be added to our regular route as a new breeding site or possibly just simple instructions are given to the property owner on how to eliminate mosquito breeding.
Word is either given to the property owner in person or a door hanger is left regarding the results of the site visit.